Monday, January 11, 2010

Watching Sports "AROUND THE CLOCK!!!" this weekend


Too much good stuff this weekend in the world of sports. The only downside to such a great weekend was how many times I heard Harrison Ford yell, "I already work around the clock!!!" in the trailer for some trumped up Lifetime movie called Extraordinary Measures.



I was able to get over this commercial and enjoy two excellent Arizona Wildcat Basketball games, many exciting Pac-10 basketball contests, Pete Carroll leaving USC and the greatest Arizona Cardinals Playoff game ever.

First the Wildcats;

They played well this weekend. They should have been 2-0 but the way they thumped #22 Washington almost made up for the devastating buzzer beater in the Wazzu game. The games confirmed my belief that the Cats are two years away from being really good (I wish Abdul Gaddy was part of that group. He looked great for the Huskies). Right now we lack a powerful star (sorry Nic Wise but you are not Klay Thompson) and that puts us at the mercy of our Freshman's learning curve. I think it is unrealistic to think that we will finish in the top 3 of the Pac-10 but this weekend showed that we could make a run in the tourney.

Momo Jones finally had a good game against Washington and made me believe that he may stay on this team for four years. Derek Williams had an incredible dunk against Wazzu (ESPN's Top Play that night), if he doesn't foul out on a bullshit charging call we probably win that game because they had no answer for him. Charging is called wayyyyyy too often in college basketball. They need to revisit this rule and insert the charge box because it has become a joke.




Pac-10 Basketball


Anyone could win this league...anyone. Oregon State was defeated by Seattle University by 51 points. Oregon beats UW and Wazzu and loses on its home floor to Oregon State. UCLA gets whooped by Arizona and then goes to Cal and wins. ASU looks like the strongest team at the moment (which makes me feel ill to type). Every game is a toss up so I highly recommend that you tune in when you see any Pac-10 game on your TV schedule (just close your eyes when they call charging.

Ding Dong Pete is Dead

I attended Pete Carroll's last game as coach of the Trojans at the Collesieum (he lost to the Cats in case you forgot that our football team was good). Does anyone really think that there is any reason that Pete is leaving besides NCAA sanctions? We have a full blown John Calipari situation, I heard several sports commentators over the weekend compare this situation to the "posse being at the front door." The only downside to this is that we still have to deal with him in our NFL division


The Cardinals Epic Playoff

I don't know where to start with this tremendous game. Why would Kurt Warner want to retire when he can have a game like that? He had more TDs than incomplete passes that is "Madden Code-esque." He slung the ball at will. One of my favorite tweets of the night came from Tony Reali of Around the Horn:

"If I'm GB I'm in no rush to score. Can't give Warner any thing more than, say, 7 seconds."

after the tying TD:

"Not saying there's too much time but I'd bet Warner could solve global warming and figure out health care in 1:52."

He was ridiculous and so was Larry Fitzgerald. What other wide receiver is given so much respect that he can just run over cornerbacks to get open? Do you know why he gets that respect? Because he can make catches on balls that were meant to be thrown away (his second TD catch). You earn that respect from officials...ask Jordan, Lebron and Kobe and yes Fitz (he is of their ilk).

A lot of people are complaining about the non-call at the end of the game but I feel like the fumble would have happened anyway, Green Bay had their shot and should have scored on the first play of OT (that bomb was open). It was not to be. Bring on New Orleans!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry son ASU is not the best team in the conference. Cal is. Cal is 10-5 with an RPI of 29 and that is 70 places higher than ASU's dismal RPI of 99. As a matter of fact at this point in time Cal is the only Pac 10 school in the RPI top 50. That's how bad and wide open the conference is. If Arizona can build on their performaces this past weekend they can easily have an upper division finish in the confernce. By the way the CATS RPI is 85.

    ReplyDelete